The University of Johannesburg (known colloquially as ‘UJ’) is a public university located in Johannesburg, South Africa. The University of Johannesburg came into existence on 1 January 2005 as the result of a merger between the Rand Afrikaans University (RAU), the Technikon Witwatersrand (TWR) and the Soweto and East Rand campuses of Vista University.
The University of Witwatersrand, the University of Pretoria and the Technikon Witwatersrand have their origin in the South African College in Cape Town and the School of Mines which was established in Kimberley in 1895.
In 1894, the Government of the Cape Colony decided that their students had to – after two years of preliminary technical instruction at the South African College – undergo a one-year technical instructions syllabus at the Kimberley School of Mines and a final, fourth year in Johannesburg.
In 1903, the Kimberley School of Mines became the Transvaal Technical Institute, changed to the Transvaal University College in 1906 and then, in 1916, branched off into the South African School of Mines and Technology as well as the Transvaal University College.
The South African School of Mines and Technology changed its name to the University College Johannesburg in 1920, which eventually became the Technikon Witwatersrand in 1979. The Transvaal University College in the meantime became the University of Pretoria in 1930.
In 2005, the Randse Afrikaanse Universiteit (RAU) was merged with the Technikon Witwatersrand (TWR) to form the now known University of Johannesburg (UJ).